Looking for a fast and easy dinner tonight? Try this Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Chicken with Pasta. It's satisfying and can be made in under 30 minutes!
Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Chicken
There are so many recipes in which I use Parmigiano Reggiano. But this Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Chicken with Pasta recipe is one that I make quite a bit.
The sauce is creamy and rich, with a touch of nutty flavor from the cheese. I serve it with pasta. But you could also serve the chicken and mushrooms with the sauce over rice, polenta, quinoa, or with veggies.
The secret to the luscious rich nature of this dish is in using Parmegiano Reggiano cheese. I buy my cheese at Whole Foods Market.
Whole Foods Market cheese buyers travel to the Parma region to visit the handful of producers to select wheels based on the most appealing flavor profiles. Those wheels are then carefully aged 24 months to achieve the toasted, salty and nutty flavor, and subtle crystal-like texture that we cheese lovers crave.
In Europe, the terms Parmesan and Parmigiano Reggiano mean the same, as anything labeled as being "Parmesan" cheese must be true Parmigiano Reggiano; here in the US, the term Parmesan is not regulated, and you may end up getting some random imitation cheese.
Since we're here in the US, and most people are familiar with the general term of Parmesan, I'm using the term for this recipe. However, I do recommend using true Parmigiano Reggiano here. The difference in using the real stuff is amazing!
How to make this recipe
You start with sauteeing chicken breasts and boiling the pasta according to package directions.
Once the chicken breasts are fully cooked, you remove them from the pan and then start making the sauce. For this, you'll need mushrooms, cream, spinach, garlic, and dried thyme, tarragon, and sage.
Mmmm . . . mushrooms. Have I mentioned that I am the only person in my house who loves mushrooms? This is another reason I love this dish: when I make it, it is mine, all mine! :)
You simmer the sauce and then toward the end add the beautiful pile of freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
And voila! I always add some freshly grated parmesan on the dish just before serving, and sometimes some additional fresh herbs.
More 30-minute dinner recipes to try
- Honey Soy Baked Chicken
- Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs with Basil
- Pasta Fagioli soup
- Teriyaki Turkey Burgers
Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces of linguine
- 4 thinly sliced chicken breasts
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1½ cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano, plus more for serving
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- chopped tarragon and/or thyme (optional), for serving
- Boil water in a saucepan and cook linguine according to package directions.
- Evenly season both sides of each chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Add oil to a large pan and sauté chicken over medium heat, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove chicken and set aside on a plate.
- Lower heat to medium-low, add mushrooms, saute for 1 minute, then add the cream.
- Add spinach and herbs, then saute for about 2-3 more minutes.
- Add ¼ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano and swirl into the sauce.
- Return chicken to the pan and mix lovingly with the sauce and saute all together for another minute or so.
- Serve with the pasta, and top with more Parmigiano Reggiano and any fresh herbs (optional)